Nationwide Motorcycle Accident Law Firm Advises Injured Bikers What to Do After a Crash
If you or a loved one has been in a motorcycle crash, there are important steps you can take to protect yourself and to lay the groundwork if a personal injury lawsuit needs to be filed. When you contact Proner & Proner, rest assured we will start working for you immediately, gathering evidence, piecing together what happened in your accident and creating a sound strategy to win you maximum compensation for your injuries.
You should be proactive to protect your right to make a claim for compensation. Compensation may come from your own insurance company or from negligent motorists or other individuals or entities that played a role in the accident. Actions that you take in the immediate aftermath of the crash can make a big difference in the outcome of your case.
What To Do Immediately After You Have Been in a Motorcycle Accident
Make sure everyone is okay. Check on everyone involved in the accident. If possible, apply first aid to those who have been injured.
- Move away from the road. Get to a safe location, but stay at the motorcycle accident scene. Use hazard lights or flares to alert oncoming traffic and prevent further collisions.
- Call 911. Unless nobody is hurt and nothing is damaged, get the police and an ambulance on the scene as soon as possible. The ambulance will bring immediate medical attention to those who are hurt. The police will fill out an accident report that may prove critical later. Answer questions truthfully when officers arrive — but do not make any admission of guilt.
- Get medical attention. The sooner you can get treated, the sooner you can get better, which is ultimately the most important thing. With adrenaline flowing, you may not think you are injured. That might not be the case. Do not refuse treatment.
- Doctor’s Orders: Follow your doctor’s advice as closely as you can, to demonstrate that you are making a good faith effort to recover from any injuries that you sustained. Also, do not leave out any complaint that you have when you talk to a doctor. Even minor aches and pains can develop into debilitating, chronic conditions. It is important to get those complaints documented as soon after a motorcycle accident as possible.
- Gather information. Get names, addresses, phone numbers and license numbers from the other driver and witnesses. Get the other driver’s insurance information. If possible, take photographs of the motorcycle accident scene and injuries.
- Contact a lawyer. The motorcycle crash attorneys of Proner & Proner offer free initial consultations and respond quickly to accidents throughout the country. We take fast action to protect your rights and start pursuing the compensation you need.
There are Also Certain Things Motorcycle Accident Victims Should Avoid after a Collision
The wrong move can make it extremely difficult to get the compensation you deserve. Insurance companies are looking for opportunities to limit or deny you compensation. We encourage you not to give them any.
- Talking with the Police: Before you participate in any lengthy investigative interview with police detectives or investigators, talk to an attorney. Initial consultations at Proner & Proner are free — and we urge you to take advantage of this offer after a motorcycle crash in any state.
- Dealing with the Insurance Company: Do not make a statement to or sign anything given to you by an insurance agent. Do not even talk to an insurance agent. When you discuss the accident to the police, be very straightforward and limit your discussion to the facts.
- Do not apologize to or argue with the other driver. Limit your discussion with the other driver to an exchange of information. Do not sign anything.
- Do not get your bike repaired. Doing so before an attorney has had a chance to have the bike properly inspected and photographed is essentially erasing one of the most important pieces of evidence in your case.
Contact Our United States Motorcycle Crash Attorneys for a Free Consultation about Your Accident and Injuries
Want to learn more about what to do after a motorcycle accident? Contact Proner & Proner today for a free initial consultation with our personal injury attorneys. Together, we will determine the best way to obtain the compensation that you need to pay medical bills and replace lost wages. We serve the entire country. We provide aggressive legal representation to injured motorcyclists.